The water we drink, the air we breathe, the food we eat, the places in which we live and work, and the diseases we try to manage are all shaped by the science of public health.
The public health major is an interdisciplinary major that engages students with the diverse field of public health. The major serves as a foundation for students interested in a broad range of public health careers, from biostatistics and epidemiology to health education and health policy to global and environmental health. It also prepares students for graduate training in these fields or in related professional health careers such as medicine, nursing, or social work. Students are strongly urged to do an internship as part of the major.
Careers in Public Health
- Research epidemiologist
- Health educator
- Medical social worker
- Policy advisor
- Communications specialist
- Federal environmentalist
- Public health lawyer
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Research global health in Hungary and learn how to fight the spread of HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty. Discover how to influence health care policies by doing an internship in Washington D.C. Partner with SafeWater Ghana and bring clean water to people at risk from poor water consumption.
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- Dr. James A. Cook Scholarship
- award amount: $5,000
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need considered; planning to pursue a health related major (pre-med, pre-dental, nursing, public health, speech pathology, etc.); preference will be given to students from Western Michigan Christian High School, Muskegon, MI
- automatic consideration
- James and Barbara Haveman Family Scholarship
- award amount: $1,500
- any class level
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is required; planning to major in public health, business, social work or pursuing a degree in engineering or education
- prospective students submit a letter of recommendation to the Financial Aid Office (email@example.com) by February 1; returning students apply through the Calvin Portal
Talk to us
Scott Vander Linde